Settlement of the canton began around 1815. The first chapel was built there is 1858 and in 1871 the present church was built in honor of Sanitago de Gales. This church was recently damaged by a wave of earth tremors that hit the canton. The region today known as Puriscal was formerly called Cola de Pavo.
More information about
The canton of Puriscal covers an area of 553.66 km²; the Río Chucás delineates the canton's northernmost boundary, while the Río Chires marks its far southern border, with the canton of Parrita in Puntarenas Province. Puriscal includes a major portion of the Coastal Mountain Range, however the canton is landlocked, ...