AUjarrás is a town and a historic site, located in the district of Cachí, canton of Paradise, Cartago. The ruins of the colonial church are located within 1 kilometer of the northwest shore of the lake Cachí. This old building "calicanto" (lime and stone masonry) is all that remains of the first masonry church built in Costa Rica during the seventeenth century, roughly between 1686 and 1693. It is of great interest for tourism. This temple was converted from its origins in an important center of pilgrimage.
More information about
In ancient times it was a place of some importance, where there was a settlement of indigenous huetares. Its name is a name a Spanish version of the huetar king Uxarrací. In early 1563 a monarch reigned in Ujarrás called Tuxustí, ...